Thursday, July 23, 2015

Tour de Fleece: Days 15-19

I finished up the mixed breed "Black Coffee" roving plus tossed in a rest day on Monday for good measure.



I can't tell you how happy I am with this skein.  I rarely spin long-draw, but I'm not really sure why, as this came out absolutely wonderful!  The skein is squishy and soft and is very knitable.  The individual strands are much more even than I thought they'd be while I was spinning the singles.

Technical Specs:
Roving:  5.6 oz of a mixed breed dark brown/bit of gray roving from Nistock Farms, "Black Coffee".
Ply: 2-ply.
Weight: DK.
Yardage: 246 yards/4.1 oz.  I have a small amount of singles left that I've wound into a plying ball and it's resting before I ply that to use up every last bit of this fiber.

I'm thinking about combining this with a handpainted roving from FatCatKnits on mixed BFL.  I have 8 oz of the "Quest" colorway.


I thought I'd spin up this 8 oz with a semiwoolen technique and see where I am for yardage.  If I need to, I could always dye up 2-4 (or more) oz of the mixed BFL in an herby green or maybe a bronze and use that for another contrast color if needed it, or even grab 4 oz of a light silver gray natural roving, which might be really pretty as well. 

At any rate, I don't think I'll get another 8 oz of singles spun up before the Tour is over on Sunday, but I am going to get started on the first 4 oz worth of singles tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

WIPocalypse October 2018 Check-In

I worked on a bunch of things this month as I've settled back into a 5-day rotation on my projects, which seems to be working pretty wel...