Thursday, March 27, 2014

Signs of Spring

I know folks in the northeast United States don't want to hear me say this, but we've actually had some pretty nice weather here to herald in spring over the last week. Sunny, 60s, (mostly) light breezes.  It's that pleasant time before the windy season really cranks up here.


I top-dressed my garden beds this weekend with a bit of composted manure and got things ready to go when I put veggies in.  I'm going to give peas and spinach a go here fairly shortly - it's been at or just above freezing most nights and I have a set of row covers I can use if we get colder weather.  On tap for other warmer weather planting will be pumpkin, zucchini and cukes.  I'll put a bunch of basil in as well eventually, and some scallions.  I'm on the fence about tomato plants.  They did really well here last year - I got quite a bit of sauce - but I'm also trying to avoid nightshade plants on my diet for a while, since I think they are something I've got a bit of allergy to, so whether I want to dedicate space to veggies I may or may not use.... I'm not sure I do.


Last year, we had what I think were nightly chipmunk invasions that lopped off a lot of my plants (like all the peas, most of the spinach, 98% of my onions) while they were trying to get a foothold, so while I was originally planning to put in another 4x4 raised bed, I've decided to wait and see how things go with the addition of some bed covers and protective fencing with this year's crop.  This is only the second year I've had veggies in at this house, so there's a bit of trial and error, but hopefully I'll find a good mix of things that'll work here!

1 comment:

  1. Ah, glorious spring! The blooming shrubs are so pretty to see, especially since we are still in the throes of winter.

    I didn't know about chipmunk raiders. They are sweet, but, hopefully, they will soon find another means of support.
    Enjoy the garden...

    ReplyDelete

WIPocalypse October 2018 Check-In

I worked on a bunch of things this month as I've settled back into a 5-day rotation on my projects, which seems to be working pretty wel...