My plan was to try to stitch up one block a month from this piece (there are 12) over the year, but this is one of the simpler blocks and I wasn't able to finish it, even with a lot of focused attention, in a week, so I may have to rethink the plan for this.
This week for my rotation, I opted to work on my 2 SALs - Lakeside Needlecraft's Under the Sea and Tempting Tangles Welcome mystery SAL. Under the Sea started on January 2nd, so I had the pattern downloaded and ready to go. This month's motif is a little octopus chasing a fish.
I'm using the called-for DMCs, except I substituted a handpainted cotton from Colour and Cotton for the lightest green, and for the backstitching color. I also added a blending filament in with the DMC for the seaweed vine to give it a bit of sparkle. This block is essentially done. The only thing not completed are some little white "bubbles", but I think I'm going to place those out with clear or white/pearlized size 11 beads. I'm going to wait and see what the other blocks look like before I decide on that. I can always go back in and add those.
For the rest of the week, I plan to work on the Tempting Tangles SAL and get caught up on that. (I've already got clue 9 and clue 10 releases on Friday.) If I've got time left then between now and Saturday, I'll go back to working on Village and see if I can get that finished up before rotating on to my Decorating the Wreath project.
One thing that I have decided to do is personalize the Village piece. I am going to be changing out the names of things in the Village to match names of my grandmother's family in their little area of central Pennsylvania, including changing things from Hawk Run to Moose Run (as that's the creek that runs through the area, and the name of the road they lived on). So I need to plot out the changes for block 2 to customize that before I get there in February.